Ceredigion is set to reopen its libraries again after nearly three months of them being shut.
The county council has said that libraries will operate a click & collect service from 22 June onwards.
People will be able order books, CDs, and DVDs, either online or by calling the library directly. You can then arrange a time and date to collect them.
And the council said that there will be no late fees for the time being, and anything which used to have charge, such as films and audiobooks, will now be free.
Ceredigion County Council said that “it is not possible” to reopen the libraries fully, however. Services such as computers, printing, and photocopying will still not be available.
Aberystwyth, Aberaeron, Cardigan and Lampeter libraries will all be reopening.
How will the click and collect service work?
The council offer the following advice on how to order a book to their library of choice:
- You will be able to request books by searching our online catalogue, or by speaking to us by phone.
- We will pick your books from the shelves and place them in a labeled bag which will be left untouched for a 72 hour quarantine period.
- We will contact you to arrange a time for you to collect the items.
- You will be given a 30 minute time slot to collect the items, and we will allocate only three people to each 30 minute slot.
- You can return any books you currently have on loan when you come to collect your new books.
- Only one person will be allowed inside the library at any one time. If more than one person arrives at the same time, we ask that you wait outside the building, observing social distancing.
How long until the libraries reopen fully?
A spokesperson for Ceredigion County Council said: “We envisage that the click and collect service will last for at least three months, and we will assess the situation regularly.
“We also aim to enable the mobile library service to resume on 22 June, focusing solely on providing service to our housebound customers.
“Please do not come to the library if you have not booked a slot.
“We would still like our books back”
“If you miss your slot, please contact us to arrange another one.
“During this time we will not be levying fees or fines, so any item with a charge, such as a DVD, talking book or CD, will be free.
“We would still like our books back, but there won’t be any fines for late returns.
“Obey the social distancing guidance, and don’t leave the house if you have any coronavirus symptoms or if you are shielding.
“You can start requesting books online immediately. Or, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone your local library from 22 June.”
Local library phone numbers, along with the online catalogue, is available on the Ceredigion County Council website.